- Highway view – at a rest stop in central Michigan, on my way to the big lake, I followed signs to a scenic overlook. Imagine my surprize to find that the scenic view was THE HIGHWAY!
2. Self portrait in moto – undaunted, I took a self-portrait as reflected in the air filter cover.
3. Lake Superior – the wall of the Visitor’s Centre at the Soo Locks has a large 3D model of the Great Lakes region. I studied it with interest, especially Lake Superior, noting how very, very deep the south end is.
4. Room with a view – there’s nothing better than watching a big rainstorm from the dry safety of the motel room. It absolutely poured about an hour after I arrived in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan.
5. Ship in Soo locks – there’s a 6.5 meter drop between Lake Superior and Lake Huron. The Soo Locks were first built in 1855 to allow ships to pass through. An average 10,000 cargo ships do so every year. Here’s one of the many that I saw during my stay.
6. Picture rocks 3 – colours and striations in the rock cliffs near Munising, Michigan on the south shore of Lake Superio
7. Picture rocks 2 – these rocks are best seen from the lake, which necessitates a boat trip, one of my favourite things to do.
8. Red Rock Inn – built in 1937 by the local paper mill to house the bosses, the Red Rock Inn has served many community uses over the years, and is now a charming and somewhat faded hotel.
9. Red Rock terrace – this terrace, overlooking Lake Superior, brought to mind those holiday places in English murder mysteries where the characters assemble every morning for breakfast.
10. Red Rock lobby – has antiques and local art, and is a pleasant place to sit and ponder